An electric kettle is a kitchen appliance whose use is to heat water to boiling. Most electric kettles have self-contained heating units for heating water and an automatic switch that goes off when the water attains the boiling point or a specific temperature below 100° Celsius. First, let us get the science behind this appliance.
The inside bottom of an electric kettle contains a coil or metal base known as the heating element. This metal has very high resistivity. Whenever the pot plugs on to an outlet, a large electric current flows to the heating element. The resistance changes the electric energy to heat. If the is water in the jug, it then heats through conductivity, that is, contact heating.
AUTOMATIC OFF SWITCH
The automated off switch in the simplest of the electric kettle uses a bimetallic thermostat. A thermostat is a mechanical, electrical or electronic component which senses temperature and helps maintain the desired temperature in a system. The bimetallic thermostat has two strips of different metals. The two metals respond and expand at different rates when exposed to heat.
While the water heats, the thermostat bends in favor of the fast-expanding metal. When the steam from boiling water hits the component, it snaps and flexes in the opposite direction. The snapping results in the strip pushing a lever that trips the circuit cuts off electric current and turns off the kettle.
I realize that this might not seem important, but for the sake of safety, it’s always good to be aware.
What To Check when Buyin an Electric Kettle For Your Dorm Room
Let’s get down to business. For a student, choosing an electric kettle is a choice that requires several considerations. The most notable include;
- The cost
For every purchase, the first factor looked at is the price of a commodity in comparison to another and the unique features that make it priced a certain way. A student would even have to be stricter on this factor, considering they are presumably not earning.
- Automatic shut off protection
Safety is also an essential factor in choosing an electronic device. It would not be ideal to find your kitchen area covered in smoke, your output socket burnt or your appliances on fire because you forgot to check on your boiling water. An automatic switch ensures that none of that will happen, and at the same time, saves you money on electric bills.
A factor that determines the value for your money is how long an appliance can give you service before being rendered useless. The ideal device needs to last as long as you need it. Checking for durability might be hard since every company wants to brand their goods as the best.
- The boiling speed of the kettle
The boiling rate of an electric kettle is predominantly due to power usage of the pot. In simpler terms, the more the power a kettle can harness, the faster the boiling rate.
- Power consumption of the appliance
The power consumption of the equipment is an important aspect as it influences the electric bills. A high powered electrical device will end up being a liability, especially to a student. But there are two ways to save on power despite an appliance’s consumption level.
One would be to boil only a needed amount of water, making a kettle with a measuring scale ideal. The second would be switching the kettle before it goes off automatically.
- The capacity of the jug
The capacity of the jug is the amount of beverage it can hold. You can choose different dimensions depending on the use and the number of people that require it. The larger the family, the more the amount of water you want your jug to hold. For students, smaller electrical jugs are ideal.
Other reasons are like;
- A variable temperature setting feature
Different beverages have different ideal temperatures to get optimal results. The market now provides kettle with different temperature settings to suit your needs, or, in this case, your beverage’s needs.
- Shape and positioning of the handle
When buying a kettle, it is vital to note that while it’s still empty then, you will be handling it when it is full of hot or cold water. You want your grip on it to be steady during these times.
- Spill free lid
Handling hot boiling liquids is a dangerous experience that might lead to injuries such as burns. During purchasing, you want to get a pot that has a spill-free lid on it.
Appearance is a factor significantly considered. Ugly is not a word people want related to their possessions. This factor has helped sleek, and uniquely designed kettle move off the shelves faster.
A lot of these factors took a basis on getting the maximum value for one’s money and making a worthwhile purchase. Here is a list of well thought out electric kettle that would be ideal for a dorm room.
Best Electric Kettle For Your Dorm Room
Hamilton Beach is a cordless electric tea kettle, water boiler, and heater. It has a body of stainless steel and a one-liter capacity. The pot is cordless and has an auto-shutoff feature. The kettle’s stainless steel gives it a lovely appearance.
- Easy-pour spout
- One liter capacity
- A removable mesh filter to keep scale deposits from leaving the kettle
- A water-level window to monitor the amount of water you need to boil
- Push-button lid
- The kettle has a rapid boiling system that ensures less time wastage.
- It has a concealed heating element that makes it convenient and safe for a dorm room.
- Hamilton has an automatic shutoff that not only makes it safe but also aides in saving power.
- The capacity of the kettle, along with its water level window makes it convenient to use when alone or with the company.
It does not have a spill-free lid and can result in messiness.
Gourmia GK360 Travel Electric Kettle is a small, collapsible and portable appliance that aims at making every day cooking easy. It is made from food-grade silicone, making it very light. The most significant trait of Gourmia is its collapsible design. It is available in a matte black color that makes it stand out in the kitchen.
- Boil-dry protection that shuts off the kettle when it senses the absence of water.
- Auto shutoff to ensure safe usage and power saving
- Collapsible design. The Gourmia is built in a way that allows it to expand to a capacity of 0.8 liters and folds away easily for storage or packing. This feature makes it convenient for outdoor activities, dorm rooms and traveling.
- It is made from light, durable, yet strong food-grade silicone that is heat resistant and maintains structural stability even when hot.
- It has a heating capacity of 820 watts, which, combined with its water capacity, makes it heat water speedily.
- The Gourmia is TUV certified. TUV certified means that a sampling of the product is tested for safety and efficiency.
- The water holding capacity may not be able to accommodate a large company.
The Chef’s Star Borosilicate Glass Kettle is a fast boiling, cordless glass teapot with a 1.7-liter capacity. It has a stainless steel black water heater and an automated shutoff. The glass borosilicate makes it look sleek on your kitchen counter.
- A 360° swivel base that lets you remove the jug from any direction for easy serving.
- Easy to clean body
- One year warranty
- Soft blue LED lights that signal when the water boils
- The borosilicate glass is resistant to thermal shock, reducing the risk of explosion when heating up or cooling down.
- It is compact, which helps you save space.
- It has an automated off switch and is reasonably easy to operate.
- Has a boil-dry protection
- Has a water level indicator
- The Chef’s Star has a stiff cord that moves the lightweight base around.
Oster 5965 model is stainless steel, one and a half-liter capacity water kettle. The kettle contains an automated off switch, detachable cord, and a hinged lock lid. It uses a 1500 watt heater and therefore has high boiling speed.
- A 360° flexible base.
- A water level indicator
- 1500 watt power capacity
- 1.5-liter water holding capacity
- Hinged locking lid
- The high power results in fast boiling of water.
- It has an automated off switch that provides safety and helps save power
- Has a non-drip spout with a removable fine-mesh filter in case of scaling.
- Apart from the filter, the kettle cannot be cleaned as the parts are not dishwasher safe.
Bonavita is a gooseneck Electric Kettle with a one little water holding capacity. It is made from stainless steel and BPA-free plastic and has an auto switch. It has a stainless steel exterior that gives it a nice look.
- Has a gooseneck spout for pouring precision
- 360° swivel base
- 1000 watts power range for fast heating
- 1-litre capacity
- 2-year warranty
- It heats up quickly due to its high heating power.
- Proper pouring that helps avoid incidents of scorching
- Has a hidden heating element which is a safety advantage
- No plastic components
- The device has proven to be durable as attested to by other purchasers.
- The stainless steel exterior may become very hot, leading to burn-related injuries.
For my dorm room, I would prefer the Gourmia Electric Kettle. Fortunately, there is a variety to choose from